Project Update 10/6/2016
WORK COMPLETED LAST WEEK:
- Began and completed videotaping of storm sewers for record purposes required by the Contract.
- Cleaned new roadway surfaces of dirt and debris due to construction activities.
- Cleaned catch basins, located in the limits of construction, of debris and removed inlet protection filters to put new storm sewer system into final service.
- Continued placement, grading, and compaction of baseball infield granular.
- Completed preparation of the property limits of Wescott Park to receive sod and transition to existing grass areas.
- Installed the irrigation system piping and sprinkler heads in the undisturbed ball field located in the southeast corner of Wescott Park.
- Completed installation of all irrigation piping, valves, and sprinkler heads in Wescott Park in this areas disturbed by construction, including pulling of all control wiring into the irrigation control panel for future termination.
- Completed backfilling, placement of topsoil, and final grading behind new curbs along the south side of Farnsworth Lane in preparation for sod.
- Continued maintenance of soil erosion fencing, as required, to prevent erosion to adjacent properties.
- Completed placement, grading, and compaction of granular subbase for new asphalt paths in Wescott Park.
- Placed asphalt for path in the northeast corner of Wescott Park.
- Placed the asphalt transition between the west side of Western Avenue and the newly restored lanes of Farnsworth Lane.
- Replaced, compacted, and prepared the roadway granular base for the last section of Farnsworth Lane to be restored, located in the south lane of Farnsworth lane at the construction entrance to Wescott Park.
- Placed concrete in the intersection of Farnsworth lane and Fieldwood Drive where sections of newly-place roadway were compromised prior to full curing of the concrete, and subsequently removed for replacement.
- Placed concrete around the last manholes adjusted in Farnsworth Lane.
- Placed concrete for the last section of Farnsworth Lane to be restored, located in the south lane of Farnsworth lane at the construction entrance to Wescott Park.
- Completed placement of concrete for the last remaining sidewalks compromised by construction activities, with the exception of one 20-foot section at the contractor’s access point into Wescott Park.
- Completed placement of concrete for the last remaining driveway apron compromised by construction activities.
- Formed, reinforced, and placed concrete for the entrance apron off Farnsworth Lane at the west asphalt path into Wescott Park.
- Formed, reinforced, and placed concrete for the pad to receive the new drinking fountain, located immediately off the west side of the asphalt path at the entrance to Wescott Park, off Farnsworth Lane.
- Formed, reinforced, and placed concrete for the pad to receive the new bleachers, and associated access sidewalk, between the baseball dugout fence and the sidewalk along the south side of Farnsworth Lane.
- Set Rainwater Harvesting System skid on new concrete pad, and begin final piping and electrical terminations.
- Pulled final electrical service cables between Commonwealth Edison’s transformer and the new Main Control Panel for the Irrigation and Rainwater Harvesting Systems.
WORK SCHEDULED FOR THE NEXT WEEK:
- Complete placement, grading, and compaction of baseball infield granular.
- Remove temporary chain-link fencing from Wescott Park prior to placement of new sod within the Park.
- Complete placement of sod in parkway areas being restored between new curbs and sidewalks along the south side of Farnsworth Lane and associated side streets affected by construction.
- Begin final stage of the restoration of Wescott Park with the placement of sod across the complete Park site disturbed by construction.
- Complete installation of trees, shrubs, and miscellaneous plantings that remain to be planted in the northwest corner of Wescott Park.
- Install eight deciduous trees in the parkway along the south side of Farnsworth lane to replace those trees removed for construction.
- Install drinking fountain in Wescott Park immediately off the west entrance/asphalt path into the Park.
- Begin removal of soil erosion fencing, after sod is laid in Wescott Park.
- Place asphalt for the remaining path along the west side of Wescott Park, as weather permits.
- Prepare subgrade, form, reinforce, and place concrete for the last 20-foot section of sidewalk to be replaced at the construction entrance to Wescott park off Farnsworth Lane.
- Continued maintenance of the roadways, as required, to remove debris, spoils, and dust generated by construction activities.
- Complete final piping and electrical terminations for the Irrigation and Rainwater Harvesting Systems.
- Receive energization of final electrical service by Commonwealth Edison for the new Main Control Panel for the Irrigation and Rainwater Harvesting Systems.
NOTICES AND UPCOMING EVENTS:
- Detours, Closures, and Final Roadway Restoration:
All concrete roadway surfaces disturbed by construction along Farnsworth Lane from Western Avenue westward to Ellendale Drive, including portions of Fieldwood Drive, Sunnyside Circle, and Ellendale Drive, have been completely restored.
For the next week, minimal partial roadway lane closures will be limited to locations specific to behind-curb restoration, sod placement, and sod watering activities. Roadways will only be affected by these activities during normal work hours, and fully re-opened at the end of the work day.
- Restoration of Sidewalks:
All sidewalks disturbed by construction along Farnsworth Lane from Western Avenue westward to Ellendale Drive, including those portions of sidewalk along Fieldwood Drive, Sunnyside Circle, and Ellendale Drive, have been completely restored. The one exception is a single 20-foot section of sidewalk at the contractor’s construction entrance to the Park, which will be poured next week after all sod is delivered to Wescott Park.
Pedestrians should expect daily closures of the sidewalk closures along Farnsworth Lane between Western Avenue and Ellendale Drive for another week while the parkways compromised by construction are restored and sod is placed.